Monday, March 16, 2009

Featured Artist Spotlight: Stover Tile and Design

My second featured artist is Chris Stover of StoverTileandDesign. I met Chris in the Etsy Forums in the Do you want SALES? Then, follow these steps :) thread... He does some amazingly beautiful work with stone...



Visit His Shop on Etsy!

I'm Chris, I live in Los Osos, CA on the the beautiful Central Coast. I live with my wonderful wife April and our two kids, Jackson and Adelaide.


When did you start working with stone and how did you get into it?

I took lapidary in junior high school and my father was a tile contractor, and both of those peaked my interest in stone. I first got interested in making things out of stone tiles when I started making shower corner trays for some of our jobs. My first real piece I made was a travertine cake stand for my brother's wedding.


Where do you get the ideas for your creations?

I get my ideas from everywhere. I see an item I like or I think is a good idea, and I think of how I can adapt it to stone tile and adapt upon it. Other times, I get a request and I just figure out how to make it.


Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Why?

I see myself still being a tile contractor, but also having my own little shop with more tools to make all the designs I have in my head. Hopefully still on the central coast and owning our own home that we built. I want to insure my kids get raised here and I'm not sure if I could live somewhere away from the ocean.

If you could start over with your business is there anything you would do differently?

I would have started making all this things sooner instead of waiting till now. I have a lot of fun thinking of stuff to make and actually making it.





Be sure to check out his store on Etsy! You will be glad you did....



9 comments:

Miranda said...

Nice feature! His tiles are sooo pretty! I couldn't imagine living away from the ocean either :P!

slosurfer said...

Tara, thank you so much for featuring me! Also, thanks to all who have visited my shop. Be sure to check back often as I add more unique pieces.

Bejewelled Bespoke said...

Go CHRIS!!! He makes the most fabulous and beautiful cheeseboards, amongst other creations. Make sure you check out his store and as for custom orders, he is convo-friendly and totally accomodating.

David Burns Smith said...

Durable/elegant, Chris Stover delivers a high-end hand-made useable product. Stover Tile & Design delivers a practical, beautiful product you wont find in any box store, shipped to you, at a great price. 3 words, “this shop rocks!”

lilyruth said...

Tara those hanging earrings you have and I love those earrings you have the picture right underneath where it says about me they are round like and so beautiful. You know the earrings I mean? right underneath About Me. I love those..

storybeader said...

great interview questions! Such an unusual thing to see on Etsy - I love it!

Unknown said...

This is a nice feature and this artist is incredible.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading this and looking at all your wonderful work Chris!

Amherst Kitchen Renovations said...

Appreciiate this blog post